About Victor Moriyama
Victor Moriyama is a Brazilian photojournalist based in São Paulo covering South America and the Amazon rainforest for international press and NGOS. His works are based on a humanist photograph committed to documenting the processes of violence that prevail in social and environmental relations in Brazil. Agrarian conflicts, deforestation and conservation of tropical forests and their biodiversity, genocide of indigenous populations, acceleration of climate change are themes that have guided his photographic production in recent years. Concerned about the scarcity of in-depth reports on conflicts in the Amazon, Victor created in 2019 the project @historiasamazonicas, a community of Latin American photographers committed to documenting contemporary processes taking place in the Amazon and defining the present. His idea is to expand world knowledge and engage global society with problems within the largest tropical forest in the world.
Victor is a regular contributor to The New York Times, covering Amazon and Latin America.
- Finalist of The Pulitzer Prizes on International Reporting: New York Times Team, 2022
- George Polk Award : Investigative reporting - Collective prize - New York Times Team, 2022
- World Press Photo - Book Award - Red Flag Book 2021
- Visa Pour L'Image 2020
- NPPA 2020 1st place: Online Video Production Features - Large Team category
- Nominee for the World Press Photo Joop Masterclass 2020
- POYi 2020 1st Place - Category: Online Storytelling, News Reporting
- POYi 2020 Award of Excellence - Category: Online Storytelling, News Reporting
- LUMIX Festival 2020: Amazon Deforestation essay
- Scripps Howard Award: Multimedia Journalism: Vox Team : ”These 3 Supertrees Can Protect Us From Climate Collapse"
- POY Latam 2019: Second place in the category “young people express themselves”
- POY Latam 2019: Second place in the “short videos” category
- Mostra SP de Fotografia - Collective exhibition - Brazil - 2022
- Culturescapes - Solo Exhibition - Switzerland - 2021
- Krakow Photomonth Festival - Poland - 2021
- Acampa Por La Paz y el Derecho a Refugio - La Coruña, Spain - 2021
- CDF Montevideo : En vilo. Una narración colectiva sobre el coronavirus en Latinoamérica". Collective exhibition - Covid Latam - Uruguay 2021
- Photoville - NYC, US - 2020
- Visa Pour L'Image - Perpignan, France - 2020
- Bronx Documentary Center - Covid Latam - NY - 2020
- Red Flag - Fotoevidence Press -/ World Press Photo - 2021